I have take a look at the groups classification of some package with rpmdrake,
and I have seen there is a big lack of consistency.

To give a simple example :

Should wmnetload be in the GraphicalDesktop/WindowMaker group, or in the
Monitoring group ?
This is a wm applet who monitor the network.
It is in GraphicalDesktop/WindowMaker
But, another applet wmmemmon, who deal with memory used and so on, is in
Monitoring.

People searching a monitoring app would expect to found them in Monitoring,
but, people searching cool applets for WM ( and fluxbox, btw ) would expect
to find them in GraphicalDesktop/WindowMaker ( or in GraphicalDesktop /
Fluxbox, who doesn't exist, even if there is more apps for fluxbox than for
icewm ).

So, they may belong to the two, but there is no way to do this in RPM, AFAIK.

And, another thing, some part of the list are unusable because some package
take all the place.
To give a example, webalizer and all his localization.
The localization should be seen as subpackage of webalizer, no ?
This applies too to vlc plugin, xmms plugin, etc .

What do you think ?

This is a RPM problem, I think, and this is bad
since Mandrake cannot mess with rpm.
Maybe for rpm 5.

On the other hand, if Mandrake decide to use his own packaging format, people
will stop to search package on rpmfind.net. And will stop to use
Suse/RH/others package on mdk, and , of course, breaking everything...

We don't even need to change the syntax of rpm too much, just the header, and
add what we want.
--

Michaël Scherer