With all the discussion on Cooker about broken localhost resolution and the
new zeroconf setup, I took it upon myself to install Friday night's Cooker
about 14 times to test various scenarios.  Since Buchan has been in the
center of this discussion, I conferred with him and he suggested I spam
Frederic and Florin with this. So guys, if you are not the right people,
blame Buchan, and then please forward this on to the appropriate individual.

I started looking into this when I noticed that I could not reset my hostname.
When accepting the defaults during installation, I get an assigned hostname
that is pretty dumb (dhcppc[x]).  I know many home users will want to be able
to set the hostname to something fun, like Jock or Trusty, and will run
drakconnect to try and change it.  Well, running drakconnect not only does
not change it, it breaks localhost resolution for GNOME.  I therefore set out
on my quest.

I have attached two files (also provided links in case you guys get
attachments stripped for some reason).  One is a summary of my experiments,
the other is a tarball of the output files created during the process.

I hope you guys can use this to fix whatever the problem is.  I obviously
cannot test all network configurations, but mine is typical of many home
users.  I don't know enough to really be helpful in actually fixing anything,
but I hope my investigation gives enough evidence to lead you to the problem
quickly.

Some quick observations
1) On my network with dhcp, running drakconnect broke localhost resolution for
GNOME.  GNOME started without error usnig default settings.  As soon as I ran
drakconnect, the next time GNOME started, it could not resolve localhost.

2) The only times that host `localhost` resolved successfully was when static
addressing was used.

Let me know if you need anything else.  I'd be happy to run the test again on
a specific setup to provide more info if necessary, although I obviously
don't want to do all of them again.

I'm going to post the same message to Cooker with just the links.

http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/network-test.summary

http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/output.tgz
--
Greg