Greg Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> With all the discussion on Cooker about broken localhost resolution and the
> new zeroconf setup, I took it upon myself to install Friday night's Cooker
> about 14 times to test various scenarios.  Since Buchan has been in the
> center of this discussion, I conferred with him and he suggested I spam
> Frederic and Florin with this. So guys, if you are not the right people,
> blame Buchan, and then please forward this on to the appropriate individual.
>
> I started looking into this when I noticed that I could not reset my hostname.
> When accepting the defaults during installation, I get an assigned hostname
> that is pretty dumb (dhcppc[x]).  I know many home users will want to be able
> to set the hostname to something fun, like Jock or Trusty, and will run
> drakconnect to try and change it.  Well, running drakconnect not only does
> not change it, it breaks localhost resolution for GNOME.  I therefore set out
> on my quest.
>
> I have attached two files (also provided links in case you guys get
> attachments stripped for some reason).  One is a summary of my experiments,
> the other is a tarball of the output files created during the process.
>
> I hope you guys can use this to fix whatever the problem is.  I obviously
> cannot test all network configurations, but mine is typical of many home
> users.  I don't know enough to really be helpful in actually fixing anything,
> but I hope my investigation gives enough evidence to lead you to the problem
> quickly.
>
> Some quick observations
> 1) On my network with dhcp, running drakconnect broke localhost resolution for
> GNOME.  GNOME started without error usnig default settings.  As soon as I ran
> drakconnect, the next time GNOME started, it could not resolve localhost.
>
> 2) The only times that host `localhost` resolved successfully was when static
> addressing was used.
>
> Let me know if you need anything else.  I'd be happy to run the test again on
> a specific setup to provide more info if necessary, although I obviously
> don't want to do all of them again.

First that's the normal behaviour to be able to set the hostname only
in static IP mode. You can't choose by yourself a name and have it
known by the other hosts on the network if the IP is given by DHCP.

The only hack to achieve something like choosing a hostname that will
be valid on your network, is to use zeroconf by setting a hostname in
.local.
--
Fred - May the source be with you