On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:59:19 +0200
Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sure, newbies should not need to do this, but last I checked this
> wasn't the newbie list.

But Newbles are the ones who are going to have no idea what to do.
I thought one of the plans was to get more people to use and support
Mandrake.
If they can install another distro;be it RH, SuSE, hell even Evil Linux;
and there LAN can connect to the NET out of the box why should they want
to use Mandrake and have to find out how to fix it.

> My 9.1rc1 install on my laptop works fine on 2 different networks that
> use dhcp.

Are you using fixed or dynamic IP?

As happens I do know what causes the problem on my system.
/etc/resolv.conf is an empty file
If edited and 'nameserver 192.168.0.1' is added Net access works.
The same is accomplished by installing and running dhcpcd.

To me the benefit of using dhcpcd is that I only need 1 pkg not the 4
installed by Network set-up/drakconnect.
Dhcpcd is also all that was Required and installed in previous Mandrake
installations for this set-up.

    Charles

--
Adler's Distinction:
        Language is all that separates us from the lower animals,