> There are two kinds of bugs: hardware and software. People who
> can't install mostly experience hardware problems, and for this
> kind of problems we have little influence for fixing..

  Well, this wasn't a hardware problem. 9.1 and 8.2 both install on the same
systems. 9.1 is just giving him a lot of major problems, it would seem.

> Funny :). A guy who resign using a stable release only because
> the beta release contained bugs :).

  Hehehe... true. I suspect it was more what he felt was the volume of bugs
than the fact that there were bugs.

> >   - Bug #2268: Every wheel mouse I try is not detected properly. This
> > includes an IntelliMouse and a Logitech MX 700 (both using PS/2).
>
> We *cannot* detect PS/2 wheel mice.

  Hmm... can't you detect if the mouse uses the IMPS/2 protocol? I know SuSE
works out of the box with PS/2 wheel mice most of the time (my luck with
SuSE's mouse detector hasn't been so great lately either).

> - by ourselves, we can't extensively test the distribution;
>   hence, we need external testers: mostly people from cooker, and
>   non-cooker people who test betas/rcs; this has limits because
>   of mirror courtesy, mirroring time, and testers' motivation

  Right. That's part of the problem, just waiting for mirrors to go up, etc.
What about having a club mirror for betas and rc's?

> - not all bugs are important; people who experience bugs worry
>   about it but sometimes they are nearly the only ones having it,
>   and they not all deserve delaying a release

  True. The ones I've mentioned I think relate to a lot of users, especially
the problems in things like Galaxy-kde or the missing media icons on KDE
desktops.

> - we provide updates

  Yes, I'm sure we are all very glad for that. :-)

  -Tim

- --
Timothy R. Butler                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal  Networks                       http://www.uninet.info
Christian Portal and Search Tool:       http://www.faithtree.com
Enterprise Open Source Journal:               http://www.ofb.biz