Greg Meyer wrote:

>>>Thanks Buchan, I did see the post that an update was made and I'll
>>
>>test it
>>

>>>tonight.
>>
>>Greg, I installed rc2 last night, and there are two issues I see so far
>>1)No way to set DHCP_HOSTNAME in
>>/etc/syconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth? except manually.
>>2)HOSTNAME is not set in /etc/sysconfig/network
>>

> These values don't seem to be set no matter what is entered in
drakconnect.
> If I enter them manually though, they still don't take effect.  This
is not
> my router either, because if I look at the dhcp table of the router, the
> hostnames of my 9.0 and Windows machines are entered correctly
>

>>IMHO, HOSTNAME should be set there if the user entered a zeroconf
>>hostname, and drakconnect should have a dialog something like "This
>>network interface requires a hostname to be sent with the DHCP request"
>>with a field to enter a name there, which goes in DHCP_HOSTNAME in
>>/etc/syconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?.
>>

> It seems to me there should also be an entry in dhclient-eth0.conf to
tell the
> dhcp client to send the requested hostname.

No need:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# grep -i hostname
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=bgmilne-thinkpad
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# cat /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf
send host-name "bgmilne-thinkpad";  # temporary ifup addition
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
(changed to bgmilne-tp)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:                                   [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                               [  OK  ]
Setting network parameters:                                     [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                                 [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:                                     [  OK  ]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# grep -i hostname
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=bgmilne-tp
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# cat /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf
send host-name "bgmilne-tp";  # temporary ifup addition

The scripts fdo it for you.

Now I just need to see why our dhcp server isn't updating dns ...

You will notice:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bgmilne]# hostname
localhost

hostname is not set, whereas I want it to be what I get from dhcp ...

>>This bug screws up the winbind setup (thankfully we do not yet advertise
>>the ability for a non-domain-admin to join a machine to the domain, but
>>it worked in 9.0, see
>>http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Wind
>>ows%20Networks.tar.gz )
>>

> I know and it works(worked?) great.  I really enjoyed having my 9.0
machines
> use my NT domain for authentication right from teh instalation.

Any chance of testing this? Do you have an NT DC, or win2k? I have been
struggling to get my win2k installation to play along (took me about 4
hours to figure out why it did not like my keyboad and mouse anymore,
but the win2k installation didn't have a problem with it).

NT is less effort to test, since there are no issues with the "Anonymous
access" to the sam etc.

It should still work out-the-box with NT, and should work for domain
admins against 2k that has been set correctly. Fixing

- --