Tiny Tim Sandwich Cookies Recipe

When I was growing up, my mother and I created special Christmas
memories in the kitchen preparing these cute, bite-size cookies. Vary
the food coloring for holidays throughout the year.

This recipe is:

Healthy

60 Servings
Prep: 45 min.
Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling

Ingredients
1 cup sugar, divided
2 to 3 drops red food coloring
2 to 3 drops green food coloring
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
FROSTING:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
4-1/2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
Red and green food coloring

Directions
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and red food coloring; set aside.
In another small bowl, combine remaining sugar with green food coloring;
set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar
until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Gradually add flour and mix
well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Coat bottom of two glasses
with cooking spray, then dip one in red sugar and the other in green
sugar. Flatten cookies alternately with prepared glasses, redipping in
sugar as needed.
Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter,
cream and extract. Tint half of the frosting red and the other half
green. Frost the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining
cookies. Yield: 5 dozen.

Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 83 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated
fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1
g protein.

Tiny Tim Sandwich Cookies published in Taste of Home's Holiday &
Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p90