I follow Alton Brown's advice and use my food processor for sifting. Then, if I have to cut in butter, I just add that, in Tablespoon-sized lumps, and proceed with the recipe. I still own a sifter, but I haven't used it in years because the food processor, which lives on my countertop, does such a good job.
Penny
 and At 10:53 PM 12/15/2009, you wrote:
I know they say that today you don't have to, but I sift my dry ingredients, as I like how it produces a finer cake.

     Kathy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "leverenz" <lever...@cpws.net>
To: "c n d" <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:21 PM
Subject: [CnD] sifting

I find myself more not sifting unless I know the recipe is to be very delicate. However Giada De Laurentiis (food network TV) had an interesting hint so take it or leave it... She was making a cranberry cake. After chopping the dried cranberries, she put them into a fine sieve and then put the flour over them and shook the sieve over the bowl to allow the flour to shake into the bowl. By doing this, she not only sifted the flour but also coated the dry fruit as to keep them from sinking and keep them suspended in the batter...
I thought this a good idea.
It has always caused me to laugh when I see on a bag of flour words "sifted"... How can this be since even if they sift the darn stuff it is compacted in packaging and shipping. So like I said take this info or leave it because folks seem to eat the baked goods whether they are sifted or not.*smile*
Dee

love lightens all difficulties and sweetens all bitterness. --- St. Francis ---

Scanned by the Barracuda Spam Firewall at CPWS Broadband

http://www.eset.com