Hello there, the ove glove is a good tool, and a can opener.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicole Massey" <ny...@gypsyheir.com>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 3:54 PM
Subject: [CnD] The Basic Tools

I have a friend who is going to finally move out from his parents' place and
he'll need to have some cooking utensils when he moves. (He'll need some
cooking skills, too, so we're going to get him a couple of good cookbooks
and also I'll send him to the show archive for this show so he can learn)
Since he's mostly blind, (RP has advanced fairly far) and has nothing, we're
going to need to know what to get him.

Here's what I have so far on the list for his friends for housewarming gifts
for the kitchen:
Set of measuring spoons on a ring
Set of measuring cups on a ring
Set of good sharp high quality knives (I'm going to spend some time teaching
him good knife skills)
Set of mixing bowls
Two frying pans (both are normal surface so he can put them in the
dishwasher)
Three saucepans with lids
5 quart pot with a lid
Two cookie sheets with an edge
Two edgeless cookie sheets
Two round cookie sheets, no lip, like a pizza pan
Cutting board - plastic
Kitchen timer
Pitcher
Several storage bowls with lids
Small enclosed food processor
Blender
Hand mixer, electric
Crock pot
George Foreman
Can opener
Set of wooden mixing spoons
Wire whisk
Several spatula, serving spoons, and a pasta fork
Pasta pot
Colander - wire mesh
Colander - plastic slotted
Two Pyrex baking dishes
Two metal baking dishes, square
One metal baking dish, rectangular
Two cake pans, normal
Grater
Potato/vegetable peeler
Pair of oven mitts
Several pot holders
Spice assortment

That's the basics I can think of. What am I missing for the absolute basics?

If all of these things get bought and we still have folks wanting to help
out, here's what I'm adding for nice extras:
Flour sifter
Toaster oven
Nylon chef's knife
Waffle iron
Egg slicer
Egg separator
Talking meat thermometer
Talking food scale
Bread machine (He loves fresh bread)
Set of funnels
Electric can opener
Bottle opener
Corkscrew
Second cutting board - wood
Folding cutting boards
Coffee maker

Anything else that y'all can think of putting in a medium level stocked
kitchen in an apartment with a built-in microwave? I'm sure I'm forgetting
things, probably many of which are in my kitchen.