From: cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org
[mailto:cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org] On Behalf Of Carla Jo
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:16 PM
To: cooking in the dark
Subject: [CnD] my dinner tonight

I am trying to use what I have in my freezer and use stuff before it ruins.
So, tonight, here's what I did. I took my all time favorite pan and put
about 1 and 1/2 cups apple juice in it.  This is a 4 quart sauté pan.  I
turned up on high, brought to a boil, reduced it a bit and let it go,
reducing and concentrating that apple juice, it turned a dark Carmel brown
and smelled like heaven.  I had 2 bone in pork chops, thawed, room tem and
just salted and peppered them.  I brought that reduced juice back up to
pretty hot as I wanted a good sere on those chops.  Laid those bad boys in
there and let them go for about 6 to 7 minutes, turned them over, let them
sere on that side for just about 2 minutes, reduced the heat to really low,
covered it and let it go for about 10 minutes.  I want my pork done, but not
dry, and these chops were about an inch thick with some good fat on them.
Before that I had taken my mandolin slicer, sliced up 2 kind of big new
potatoes, some of y'all may call them red potatoes, I laid them on a single
layer on a cookie sheet that was sprayed with Pam, drizzled a bit of olive
oil on them, sprinkled them with some pepper and some smoked salt.  This is
a salt I bought somewhere when I was with my friend Mary.  It is great to
have on hand.  I popped the taters in the oven at around 400, I wanted them
to cook quick and crispy.  Add a salad and we are done.
cj