Hi abby,
Thanks for the clarrification.
Dawnielle

-----Original Message----- From: Abby Vincent
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 4:52 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Subject: Re: [CnD] A question about sieves/sifters.

A sifter has at least two, usually metal layers with holes in them.  There's
a handle that moves them in opposite directions so the flour goes through
and is finer, i.e. less dense.  A sieve has one layer.  It is used to strain
things like pasta or vegetables that have been cooked in water to separate
them from the water.  You can  use them to wash or rinse food.  You can also
sift with it by forcing food through the holes to make a puree.

Abby