hello everyone,

I do not want to speak for Jessica, but I do know that it is common for
parents of blind children to be overprotective and not allow them to grow
and develop as independent adults ... my husband is one of them.  He is 48
years old and we still have difficulty in getting his mother to cut the
apron strings.  She continuously insists on wanting to do everything for us,
not understanding that we are completely capable of doing it ourselves.

I think what Jessica  may need right now is to meet some people close to her
own age that are experiencing  or has experienced the same thing.  I know a
young lady who has overcome the exact difficulty.  I met her years ago  at
the orientation and adjustment center that I attended.  The poor thing could
not do a thing for herself becauwse her mother would never let her learn.
Since then, she has completed independent living training, completed college
and has a great job, living on her own and prospering.

This is a very personal and difficult situation and I think what we should
do, If you give the go ahead, Jessica, if anyone has someone they know close
to her age, that could be of support to her in working through this, you
could contact her privately and put her in touch. It's just nicer to have
people that can relate to exactly how we are feeling.

I am sorry, Jessica, I just don't want you to feel uncomfortable with having
to explain anything to anyone ... everyone on here is very kind and wants to
help, but without knowing exactly what you are dealing with, no one can
help.

Please don't be afraid that anyone will interfere or intrude without you
asking for help. :)

So just let everyone know how you feel about my suggestion and I'm sure
we'll find you the right support for what you are dealing with.
Heidi