Hi, Dannielle,
There have been many posts in the past about flat top stoves, but, I'll share
my experience briefly here.  I have a flat top; the burners are slightly
textured, the surrounding area is smoother, the opposite of what some one else
just said.  It depends on the brand of the stove.  The best way is to place the
pan on the cold surface about where you think the burner is, then turn on the
heat and feel above the surface surrounding the pan to use the radiant heat to
guide you to center the pan.  Because you aren't touching the stove surface,
only the sides of the cool pan, you won't be in any danger of burning yourself.

Be safe!  Hope this helps.

Alice