I've used charcoal, gas, and my favorite is a smoker.
With the charcoal, you can very easily build a fire using what is
called a chimney. It is a round metal thing with a platform near the
bottom. You place newspaper under the platform and coals on top. You
light the newspaper which then lights the bricks. Their are wholes
around the edge of the cylendar where the newspaper goes so it can
breathe. The only problem with  this method is that you can't tell
when theey bricks are white.
Thhee gas grill is easy to use.
I like the smoker because it is not as hot so I can place my hands
inside more easily.
As far as temperature, their is a product which works with the IPhone
called an IGrill. It is a thermometer which can be left in the meat.
It has a transmitter which works with the IPhone and can tell you the
temperature of the food. It works well.