What an awesome set of ideas!
Thanks for sharing.

D C

On 7/17/2015 9:28 AM, Linda Yacks via Cookinginthedark wrote:
Hi there,

I like to cook ahead! A long time ago, there was a book called "once a month
cooking." I can't remember much of the stuff in there, but it did get me thinking
about how much time I could save by planning and cooking ahead.

When I find high-quality ground beef on sale, I buy up several pounds. One
place I used to get good ground beef at a lower cost that the regular store was
Sam's or Costco. Anyway, I take 5-6 pounds of the meat and make meatloaf
mixture. Then I separate that into as many meatloaves in the size I need for my
family. I cook one for dinner and freeze the rest. That way, I only have to
thaw it out and put it in the oven.

I also cook up the ground beef in a skillet with some onion, garlic, salt and
pepper. Drain well, then separate into about 2 cup packages and freeze. With
this meat cooked, I can put many meals on the table within 15 minutes.

Quinoa will freeze. One of my favorite dishes to make more of and freeze is
Hawaiian chicken with quinoa. You can facilitate the cooking of this dish and
many others by cutting up the chicken or meat prior to freezing. So, I take out
my frozen chopped chicken and put it in the fridge the night before. You can
place the remaining ingredients of the recipe in a covered dish and
refrigerate. In the morning, simply place chicken and fixings in your crockpot
and turn on low. The quinoa can be cooked in the microwave in about 10 minutes.
I make another batch of quinoa to use with the leftover chicken. Simply stir in
the quinoa, place in a freezer bag, and freeze.

I make up spaghetti sauce and freeze. The only thing I have to do is cook the
spaghetti when I get home.

About freezing rice or pasta, don't overcook it. If it is a little under done,
it will freeze much better. Remember, commercial frozen dinner entrees
frequently have rice or pasta.

Linda's meatloaf

Ingredients:
5-6 pounds good quality ground beef or turkey
4 eggs
1 can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup hines steak sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 package Stove top stuffing mix or dried bread crumbs
3 tbst refrigerated diced garlic or as many garlic cloves as you like
4 onions diced
2-3 diced bell peppers
Salt (I don't use it)
Pepper
Ketchup for top of meatloaf

Combine the wet ingredients in a very, very large bowl. I have a that's-a-bowl
from Tupperware. Add the stuffing mix and the rest of the ingredients except
for the meat. Thoroughly mix. Then slowly mix in the meat. You will have to get
in there with your hands, so just wash them and have a great time.

Hawaiian Chicken

I got this recipe from my friend Vicki, and it wouldn't surprise me if it came
from this list.

Ingredients:
5-6 good size chicken breast cut in bite size pieces
1 cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Pineapple chunks
1-2 tbsp cornstarch (optional)

Drain can of pineapple chunks into a measuring cup. If you have more juice than
you need, either drink it or save in a separate cup for later. You want to
drain as much juice off the pineapple as possible.

Mix all ingredients except cornstarch in a crockpot.

Cook on high for around 6 hours or until chicken is done.
Using a turkey baster, remove some of the liquid to a large measuring cup.
Blend in the cornstarch. Return the mixture to the crockpot and cook on high
for about 1/2 hour. The sauce will thicken a bit. I like to do this because it
sticks to the quinoa better.

You can also use rice or brown rice

Cook 1 cup quinoa (2 cups for the entire batch of chicken).

1 cup quinoa
2 cups liquid

Place quinoa and liquid in a microwave safe dish with a tight cover. Cook on
high for 5 minutes. Open dish and fluff. Return to microwave for 1 minute.
Leave in microwave for at least 10 minutes.

When I cooked a larger batch, I had to keep adding a little time until it was
done.

Broth makes a really good liquid for quinoa
I use a broth paste that I get at Costco.

Happy cooking!