I use a plastic disposable spoon.  When I dip the spoon I give a light touch
with my finger to see how much mayonnaise, mustard, or peanut butter is on
the spoon.  Then I empty the spoon on the center of the slice of bread, then
work it around without coming to close to the edge of the bread.  Then I
place the piece of ham or whatever on the bread, pressing the ham or
whatever in the center and working outward.  This usuallly distributes the
mayo or whatever evenly.  If using peanut butter or perminto cheese I place
the top slice of bread on the peanut butter or pimento cheese, pressing down
in the center first, then working outward.  I hate spreading jelly, so I ask
my wife or daughter to fix a PBJ for me.  Their sandwiches are always better
than mine any way, no matter what kind of sandwiche.  Don't ask me why.
There is just something about the way they do it.  Perhaps the attention and
care they give to fixing it like cutting the sandwich in half diagonally.  I
just flop it down and spread it and eat it.

Danny

All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be,
declares the LORD. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble
and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word. (Isaiah 66:2)