I got this from Helen and we all liked it.  I have made this two times.

Marilyn

-----Original Message-----
From: Helen Whitehead via Cookinginthedark
[mailto:cookinginthedark@acbradio.org]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 8:30 AM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Helen Whitehead
Subject: [CnD] Baked Pork Chops And Rice tried and True!

                Baked Pork Chops And Rice Tried And True
I made this recently, and this time, I cut the chops up in to bite sized
pieces. I liked this method better.
I always make notes when making and keeping recipes, because, sometimes,
I'll tweak it to what ingredients I have here, or use a substitute for
something else I may not have here.
I bake this for an hour.

I made this on September 25, 2016.
It was really good!

     6     pork chops 3/4 -inch thick (about 2 lb total)
I only had 4 boneless chops
     1   t chili powder

     1   t salt

     1 dsh black pepper

     1   c long grain rice raw

     1     onion small, chopped (3/4 cup)
I chopped up 2 small onions
     2 can stewed tomatoes (15 oz)
I used a big 796 milliliter can

     4  oz cheddar cheese shredded (about 1 c, optional)
I didn't bother with the cheese.
And I didn't brown the pork chops either.
I baked it for an hour at 350.

Preheat oven to 350 degree F.  Trim fat from chops.  Heat fat

in a large skillet over medium-low heat until skillet is

coated with fat.  Discard trimmings.  Brown both sides of

chops, about 15 minutes total.  Transfer chops to a shallow

2-quart oblong baking dish.  Sprinkle chops with chili powder,

salt and pepper.  Evenly layer rice, then onion and stewed

tomatoes.  Cover tightly with foil.  Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours

or until chops are tender and rice is done.  Sprinkle with

cheese.  Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.