Hi Reinhart, Here you go:
        YELLOW LAYER CAKE

Better than a box - almost as easy!

1.      Sift together the following dry ingredients, and set aside:
        2 cups cake flour;
        1 1/2 tsp. baking powder;
        1/2 tsp. salt;

2.      Cream together 1/2 cup (1 stick) sweet butter and 1 cup sugar.
When light and fluffy - after about 5 minutes - stir in 1 tsp. vanilla
extract and 1/4 tsp. lemon extract.
3.      Beat in 3 large eggs, one at a time.

4.      Measure 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sweet milk, add milk and dry
ingredients alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with
dry ingredients.

5.      Divide batter between two, buttered and lightly floured, 8" round
layer pans.  Bake at 375( for 25 minutes - cake will spring back when
touched lightly.

Here's another basic recipe with variations:
Definition list of 8 items
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
list end
List of 4 items
1. Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C). Grease and lightly flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch
baking pan
(or, two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans, or three 8 x 1 1/2-inch round pans). Set
aside.
2. In a large
mixing bowl
combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well. Add the milk,
shortening and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium to
medium-high
speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add the eggs and
continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
3. Bake the 13 x 9 x 2-inch
cake
for 40 to 45 minutes (or the 9-inch cakes for 30 to 35 minutes; the 8-inch
cakes for 20 to 25 minutes), or until a wooden pick inserted near center of
cake
comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the
center.
4. Cool the 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake on a wire rack. (Cool the 9 or 8-inch cakes
on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire
racks.) Frost as desired.
list end

Makes 12 to 16 servings.

Variations:

For Marble Cake: Pour half of the prepared cake batter into another bowl.
Mix 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2
tablespoon
warm water and 1/4 teaspoon
baking
soda. Stir into one bowl of cake batter. Spoon light and dark batters
alternately into prepare cake pan(s). Using a thin spatula, cut through
batter several
times (without touching bottom of pan) for a marbled effect. Bake as
directed above.

For Cupcakes: Line 36 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups. Fill cups
about one-half full. Bake 20 minutes or until tested done. Cool in pan for 5
to 10 minutes on wire rack; remove and cool completely. Frost as desired.
Makes 36 cupcakes.

??

One more:  This is a cake mix.  It makes enough for only one cake, but
the advantage is you can whip up the mix one un-busy day, store it in
the freezer, and then whip up your cake or cupcakes when the dessert
emergency strikes!)
DIY: Homemade Yellow Cake Batter Mix
Yield: 5 cups cake mix
Prep Time: 10 minutes
2 cups granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and 3 tablespoons
cornstarch (or you can use 1-1/2 cups each unbleached flour and cake
flour)
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cut in 1/2-inch cubes and cold
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the sugar, both flours, milk powder,
baking powder and salt. Process for 15 seconds. Add the pieces of
butter and lightly
toss with a fork so they are coated with the flour mixture. Sprinkle the vanilla
over the top. Pulse until the mixture is fine and crumbly, about 10
one-second pulses.
Use immediately or store in an airtight bag or container in the
freezer for up to
2 months.

To make the cake, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and
preheat the oven
to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your pan of choice
With an electric mixer, beat the prepared cake mix, 1 1/4 cups warm
water and 2 large
room-temperature eggs until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes.
Scrape the batter
into the prepared cake pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in
the center comes
out clean, about 25-27 minutes for two 9-inch layer cakes. Or, for one 9X13-inch
cake (bake for 30 to 35 minutes), or one 12-cup bundt pan (bake for 40
to 45 minutes),
or 24 cupcakes (bake for 18 to 20 minutes)  *Makes enough for two
9-inch layer cakes (bake according to recipe), or one 9X13-inch
cake (bake for 30 to 35 minutes), or one 12-cup bundt pan (bake for 40
to 45 minutes),
or 24 cupcakes (bake for 18 to 20 minutes)  Cool the cake(s) in pan(s)
for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Cook's Country April/May 2010