i took the recipe and labeled each of the three sections, both in terms of
ingredients and instructions (copy below, if anyone finds it useful.) My
question is, in terms of rhubarb, does it call for frozen and fresh , or frozen
or fresh?

Make filling first. it needs to cool.

Filling: Ingredients
1 pound fresh rhubarb cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups frozen rhubarb
16 ounces frozen strawberries
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Batter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup buttermilk
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine

To make Rhubarb Filling:
In saucepan combine  fresh rhubarb, frozen rhubarb,
and  frozen strawberries, thawed and sliced. Cover and cook
about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice.
Combine sugar and  cornstarch; add to rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir till
 thickened and bubbly.  Allow too cool.

To make batter:
1) Combine 3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, soda, powder, and
salt.

2)Cut in 1 cup butter to produce fine crumbs.

3) Beat together buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Stir to
moisten.

4. Spread half the batter in greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Spread cooled
filling over batter. Spoon remaining batter in small mounds
atop filling.

Crumb Topping:
Combine sugar and flour; cut in 1/4 cup
butter to fine crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Makes 12 to 15 servings.