I know it will raise eyebrows on some, but if I want to make certain that my meat is really tenderized well, I'll soak it in soda pop. Doesn't matter what flavor, the sweetness of the drink is not passed to the meat. I kid you not, it works! I've even put it on hamburgers and it worked.

Karen

At 11:47 AM 5/31/2020, you wrote:
My sister recently attended a cooking class and it was recommended to tenderize meat, at least chicken, with yogurt. Only use plain unflavored yogurt on poultry over night for a more tender result.

Eileen

From: Immigrant via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:24 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Immigrant
Subject: [CnD] Salt makes meat tougher?

I was surprised to read in a recent message that salt supposedly would make
cooked meat tougher. From my own experience, I can say with certainty I
don't find it so. I cook beef, pork or poultry in the oven, and if I don't
season the meat with salt, it is usually because I bread the meat and there
is enough salt in the breadcrumbs or other breading ingredient. But if I am
not breading the meat, salt is the very first seasoning I use. And I try my
best to cook any meat to the well done stage. However, I rarely, if ever,
found the finished product to be too tough, and if it came out tough, I
would probably blame myself for overcooking before I blamed any of the
ingredients. I cannot imagine not including salt in one form or another (by
itself or in a breading).