From: Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org> On Behalf Of
Larry Gassman via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 12:04 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: larrygass...@roadrunner.com
Subject: [CnD] Cooking Brown Rice in a rice cooker

CAUTION: This is an External email. Please send suspicious emails to
ab...@michigan.gov

Hi all,
I've cooked white rice in a rice cooker for years and now want to switch to
brown because it is healthier.
But, my first attempt was just okay.
I usually use a cup of rice, some butter, some Lowerys seasoning, and a can of
low sodium Chicken Boullion.
When I tried it with Brown rice, the rice came out rather chewy, and may not
have been done, even though the rice cooker did click off.
I do not have a setting for brown rice on my rice cooker.
At least, I don't think I do.
I googled some recipes today and found one in particular that might work.
But my twin brother John and I are the only ones eating for the most part.
So could I cut this in half?
Should I ignore the chicken boullion based on the ingreedients given in this
recipe?
Thank you for any hints and help.
Larry

Brown Rice in a rice cooker

The best quantity to cook is 2 cups of rice with 4 cups water.  If this is your
first time, that's what I recommend you start with.
5) Add salt
Salt makes a huge difference in the brown rice taste, so don't forget to add
it.  I always add salt directly to the rice cooker, right after adding rice and
water.  I use 1/4 tsp of salt for each 1 cup of uncooked rice.  If it's not
salty enough for you, just increase the salt amount next time to 1/2 tsp.
6) Cook in the rice cooker
Set the rice cooker to cook :)  If you have the "Brown Rice" setting, use that.
 If you only have the "Rice" or "White Rice" setting, just use that - if you
used the brown rice to water ratio above, it should turn out just fine.
Make sure to never open the rice cooker while the rice is cooking, or it will
mess up the rice!  Be patient and wait until the cooking cycle is done.
7) Fluff with fork after cooking
When the rice is done cooking in the rice cooker, it won't look like the fluffy
rice on the above picture.  In order to get it to be fluffy, you have to fluff
it with a fork!  Just get a regular fork and stir the rice with it, separating
the grains until is looks tasty and fluffy.
8) Add optional seasonings
You can eat your brown rice as is, or to kick the flavor up a notch you can use
extra seasonings.  You can add a dab of butter and a squeeze of lemon juice, as
well as a sprinkle of your favorite spices to season the brown
rice.   Enjoy!