Well I prepare rice completely differently but I mostly eat brown.

I have read that it is important to rinse rice, but packages in the U.S. and
cookbooks published in America advise against it.

Turns out after further reading, I found out why; rinsing originally removed
field debris. Now that rice is prepared in factories, rinsing removes excess
starch which can make it sticky. The reason they advise against rinsing is
given is that here in America, rice is fortified with spray-on vitamins and
minerals which rinsing removes.

If you eat plenty of vegies you don't need the spray-on nutrients, so go ahead
and rinse it to remove the starch.

I put my rice in my cooker with 1 cup of rice to 3 cups of water for brown and
2 cups of water for white. I sprinkle in a little salt; that's all. I then let
it sit an hour or two. I've read this makes the rice better absorb the liquid
and this works especially well for brown; makes it less chewy.

I let the cooker do its thing; there's a sensor that knows when the water is
almost gone. Once it is back to just warming, I turn it off and let it set ten
minutes. Then I stir and cover again so it won't dry out and put it in the
fridge when it's cool enough.

I generally flavor it when I add other things -- for example I might microwave
it with garlic or curry and vegies. Or I might mix it with cumin and add it to
enchiladas. Or I might make a salad with cold rice, mayo, vegies, spices,
pickles -- yum.

I have tried flavoring it in the cooker, but especially with brown rice, the
hull is so thick that most of the flavoring is lost.

--Debee