I was just thinking the same thing as I was remembering all those times. It would be fun to share experiences off list somehow. Although hard, I'm very grateful for those experiences and the lessons I learned, but I'm still a work in progress; have many more to go! (smile) and now I'm grateful for everything I have, and more.

On 8/5/2020 6:32 PM, Regina Marie via Cookinginthedark wrote:
We do take for granted the conveniences we have, even in low-income housing.
Thank you for sharing your experiences.

With Warm Regards:
Regina Brink
President, ACB Capital Chapter of California Council of the Blind
Find me at: https://facebook.com/reginamarie
Follow me on: https//:www.twitter.com/mamaraquel

-----Original Message-----
From: Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark-boun...@acbradio.org> On Behalf Of
meward1954--- via Cookinginthedark
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 5:58 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: meward1...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [CnD] Matches and irrational fears

OMG!  My washboard was actually stone, a shallow stone basin with places for
the water to come out and a drain in the middle.  There was a bigger basin
to the side where you could soak the clothes.

We had those gas things, too.  I lived with another woman for a while in a
set of rooms, not connected, on the top floor of a building.  It was not
really safe.  I should have told her no.  Anyway, one night, somebody came
up all those stairs and stole my gas tank.  I tried to make coffee in the
morning and could not light the stove.  No gas.  Literally no gas.  I cried,
cursed, and moaned  multilingually.

I had electricity most of the time, though it sometimes went off.  Same with
the water.  Sometimes during the summer, there was not enough water pressure
to get the water up to our apartment, this was another roommate.  So we had
to carry jugs and buckets up those uneven stairs.  I couldn't do it now.  I
am such a chicken now.

I was lucky living in the mountains. It was cold enough that I could safely
keep cooked food for a couple of days.  But if it had meat, it had to be
boiled every twelve hours or else thrown away.  I never ever cooked chicken
at home.  I didn't trust it.  That is what restaurants were for.  Yes, we
had restaurants.

Those were definitely the days.