Hi:

I do the same, and once my husband decided in his sweet little brain that he would cook some spagheti and fettuccini together because we didn't have enough spaghetti for dinner and it turned out terrible.

Do you have a pasta server? I love mine for fishing out the pasta to check for doneness. It makes life a lot easier.