On 10-04-2024 14:42, Desiree Miloshevic wrote:
Also here’s an interesting link to the last months’ ruling article.
https://www.globalnorm.de/en/news-product-compliance/details/eu-malamud-case-and-cjeu-ruling-on-march-5-2024/
It raises questions regarding to the European standardisation process.

Intereesting indeed.

The actual judgement can be found at:

https://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf;jsessionid=2D421F4D58FCC1F3053AC53F626FD995?text=&docid=283443&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=1178057

To me, a non-legally-trained person, this looks like a square win and will be a significant step to make EU standards freely available if they are in some way legally binding. I have little sympathy with the standardisation organisations having to organise their funding in a different manner than by selling the product of the experts that produce their standards. There are working examples like the IETF.

It is kind of embarassing that it takes our good friend Carl Malamud to move this forward from the US where he has achieved similar things.

Carl has been a regular participant in RIPE in the 1990s. He spent some time in Amsterdam working on the "1996 Internet World Fair"  after publising "Exploring the Internet" https://archive.org/details/exploringinterne00mala . Look those up for some educational entertainment.

Daniel