Sorry for jumping the gun with a question,

I found it , and it was rather obvious.  Even though I picked current-dir in
the coot-refmac dialog. Coot puts the refmac output files into the
coot-refmac sub-directory within the current directory.
This is new behavior as far as I know. But the project dir is much tidier
this way.
Thanks

Hari