IMO, unless you just like upgrading your OS on a frequent basis and the migraines that go with it, choose some sort of LTS (long-term-support) release. Currently I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (good for 5 years), but CentOS or Mint would be good choices, too, and that is what I considered when I upgraded from my last LTS distribution. Ubuntu (at least for now) makes it easy to configure hardware and is a popular known quantity for protein crystallographic software. I had too many hardware compatibility issues with Fedora about 5 years ago and gave up trying to maintain it.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor