Thanks Bernhard, that’s very helpful.

Using that function, I wrote a little script that will delete a chain based on
the currently selected residue:

def first_residue(mol_id,ch_id):
        result=seqnum_from_serial_number(mol_id,"%s"%(ch_id),0)
        return result
def last_residue(mol_id,ch_id):
        n=chain_n_residues(ch_id,mol_id)-1
        result=seqnum_from_serial_number(mol_id,"%s"%(ch_id),n)
        return result
active_mol_id=active_residue()[0]
active_chain_id=active_residue()[1]
first_res=first_residue(active_mol_id,active_chain_id)
last_res=last_residue(active_mol_id,active_chain_id)
delete_residue_range(active_mol_id,active_chain_id,first_res,last_res)

I’d quite like to assign this to a button, but the user defined button
interface in coot only seems to take one-line commands, not multi-line - I
guess I can assign it to a key binding though. Or is there an easy way to add a
user-defined menu item?

Oliver.