Thanks Tim, I normally use the ubuntu-12.04 build. Just tried both debian
builds, both have the same problem unfortunately. I suspect it is an ubuntu
problem - some menu behaviors have changed between 13.10 and 14.04, and I guess
that is the root of the issue.

For the moment, I can either run the affected functions from the scripting
interface directly or make adhoc extension items for the ones I need (like
sequence view) using pop-up molecule-choosers rather than listing the molecules
within the submenus.

In any case, I would recommend that anyone else running Coot on Ubuntu delay
upgrading to 14.04 for the moment.

Best,
Oliver.