On 29/03/2020 10:04, Clemens Vonrhein wrote:
Dear all,

given that nearly everything seems to be possible with Coot (apart
from making a good cup of coffee ... but who knows), maybe someone
could help me out here.

(1) When working with a hydrogenated molecule (not riding hydrogens!)
     in Coot it seems as if the real-space refinement takes those
     full-occupancy hydrogens into account during fitting as if they
     are normal atoms:

That was not the plan - the Hydrogen atoms are used for interactions and geometry optimization, not fitting to density.

     I seem to have a hard time in dragging/pulling
     things around as efficiently as if I was working without those
     hydrogens.

Yes, me too.

So is there a way of telling Coot to have those
     hydrogens as "riding hydrogens" during real-space refinement,
     i.e. ignore them for the actual refinement but move them along
     with the rest of the heavy atoms during fitting? I don't want to
     delete them first and then having to add them back on (which will
     be tricky for those parts of the structure where I modified the
     model). Also: "over-dragging" a heavy atom leaves those hydrogens
     back - which makes it feel much less effective e.g. for methyl
     groups and such. Or am I missing something?

You are not using Coot 0.9, that, I would say, is mostly the problem. FWIW, I want to make a YouTube video about how great it is to drag on Hydrogen atoms for ligand fitting :-)

(2) Another thing maybe for the script gurus: have you ever felt the
     need to a simplification of adding buffer molecules? I want to add
     e.g. DMS and then have the following steps done automatically for
     me at the same time: remove hydrogens, merge with current
     molecule, remove the initialy added molecule and set occ of the
     new residue to 0.99 (to have a marker for subsequent occupancy
     refinement). This must be a fairly common sequence of commands for
     a lot of people - so maybe someone has already put that
     functionality somewhere?

After you've added your ligand, you can, at the touch of a key-press set the occupancy and remove the Hydrogen atoms.

Doing that automatically is a bit more difficult - I think that it's doable, but I am not sure without digging into some code. Let's write that script later.

(3) I'm often caught out when trying to save a certain view (to later
     produce nicely aligned pictures e.g. of refinement progress) when
     using "File -> Save State"

     * why is it not automatically stay in the working directory in the
       same way as "File -> Save Coordinates -> Select Filename" or
       "Draw -> Screenshot -> Simple"? I always have to go to the
       directory explicitly in my file browser ... odd.

That is the Gtk way? I think now that even the coordinate dialog doesn't start in the same directory.

     * after saving the state file I have to remember to save the state
       again into a differently named file before exiting: otherwise
       the default state file created (normally) by coot will overwrite
       the last explicitly saved state file ... losing what I was
       trying to achieve along the way.

:-) I've done that too. I treat quick save as (Ctrl-S) state files are treated as ephemeral. If I want to save it, I have to copy it.

       There are also some problems with --no-state-script and/or
       --no-guano (need to check again) that prevents me from saving a
       state explicitely in the first place.

yes, I think --no-guano means no state script.

(4) are there already existing key-bindings for adding, editing and
     deleting 3D annotations? And how do I automatically save/load
     those upong startup/exiting?

They are saved in the views save file. There is no key bindings to these functions, but you could make one. A worked example might be educational?

Sorry for the delay - my folder didn't light up blue - I don't know why.

Regards,