Since writing this, I have learned, to my horror, that the
behavior of the -C flag differs from the behavior in tar in that

- -C is not sticky - it applies only to the one following argument

- the path is relative to the JDK's current directory, not the
previous -C directory.

despite assurances from jar(1)

          -C  dir
             Temporarily changes directories (cd dir) during execution of the
             jar command while processing the following inputfiles argument.
             Its operation is intended to be similar to the -C option of the
             UNIX tar utility.

If you squint, you can see that it says "argument", not "arguments".

Martin