On 4/1/2011 11:56 PM, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
Xueming Shen wrote:
I'm not a GC guy, so I might be missing something here, but if close()
is being explicitly invoked by some thread, means someone has a strong
reference to it, I don't think the finalize() can kick in until that
close() returns
This is not correct. You can re-publish the reference from another finalizer
method and thereby allow another thread to access the object concurrently with
the finalizer.

Here's a possible sequence of events:
1) GC runs and determines that A and B are finalizable
2) Finalizer thread run A.finalize()
3) A.finalize publishes reference to B in static variable

Jeroen, are you talking about the object resurrection from finalize()?

How do you re-publish/get the reference to B inside A.finalize()? I think you can do that inside
B's finalize() to assign "this" to a global static variable.

Regard,
-Sherman

4a) Another thread reads the static variable and calls B.close()
4b) Finalizer thread runs B.finalize()

Regards,
Jeroen