On 22/11/2011 02:08, David Holmes wrote:
:

I support raising the timeout rather than waiting forever, as these tests should be able to run standalone and in that case they should not hang upon encountering a bug. I'm wary of assuming there is a higher-level test harness involved. Also note that java/util/concurrent tests are generally updated in collaboration with Doug Lea as he also maintains these tests for the jsr166 repository - and runs them.

I do have a concern that raising the timeouts/delays too high means that they will no longer be of any use in detecting general unexpected slowdowns. This is a delicate balance between accommodating slow machines and flagging problems with unexpected slowdowns. Maybe there is nothing we can do about that, but I want to flag it.
I don't think there is much we can do as it's impossible to distinguish a slow down from running on a busy system.

Chris - are you keeping on eye on these test changes and whether there will be any sync'ing up needed with Doug's CVS?

-Alan.