On 03/08/2012 19:33, Andrew Hughes wrote:
:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~andrew/syslibs/zlib/webrev.02/

is an updated version which checks if ZLIB_LIBS is set on Solaris, GNU/Linux
and MacOS X and sets it to -lz if not.

I wasn't sure what to do with Windows but something can be added there if
necessary.
Thanks for the update, it looks right to me now. To double check I did a quick build+test on all platforms with latest jdk8/tl + your patch and I don't see any issues.

Now I'm wondering whether we should just bite the bullet and default SYSTEM_ZLIB to true on Linux, maybe Solaris too (Sherman - can you think of any reasons not to do this? It would avoid needing to put in a means to switch zlib at startup as it could be done simply with LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

-Alan.