----- Original Message -----
> On 08/06/2012 11:26 AM, Andrew Hughes wrote:

As we override the default anyway, I'd prefer not to be the one pushing
for it if it causes problems down the road :-)

 My apology for my naive
> question,
> is zlib (the library)
> always installed by default by most linux distributors?

No apology required.  It's not that naive a question as there are plenty
of distributions out there, so giving a completely accurate answer is
impossible.  There's more than likely someone who doesn't :-)

I would say it's extremely unlikely that the library's not installed.
Looking at the dependency tree, it's a requirement of perl, nss, libpng,
freetype, openssh, firefox, kdelibs & cairo to name a few.  You're not going to
get
much of a GUI environment going without it, that's for sure.

As you pointed out earlier in the thread, binary distributions tend to
separate the library and the development headers / pkgconfig files.  It's
much less likely that zlib-devel (or whatever it gets called) is installed
on a standard system, but for someone doing builds, it becomes more likely
especially as it's a dependency for other development packages such as the one
for libpng.

> >> Currently the SYSTEM_ZLIB=true is set in
> >> make/common/Defs-macosx.gmk.
> > Ok, so it's the default there already.  That explains the defines.h
> > logic.
> >
> >> ZLIB_VERSION = 1.2.5 is setin make/common/Defs.gmk.
> > What's the relevance of this version?  My system install is 1.2.7.
>
> That's the version bundled with jdk. Yes, 1.2.7 is the latest, out
> May/2012. I might try to
> upgrade the bundled one to the latest version at later stage of jdk8.
> The "relevance" is that they are all used for "zlib build", so it
> would
> be  better to put them
> together/close for future maintenance, though some comment might be
> necessary to clarify
> one is for "bundled" version, on is for the link options for os zlib.

Ah, ok.  So it's irrelevant if SYSTEM_ZLIB=true.  I was worried the idea might
be for the build to  do a version check like it does with Freetype.   That's
been
a pain in the past.

So is the patch ok for me to push?  And do we have a bug ID if so?  Sorry if
you've
already mentioned one, but I've lost track in this thread :-)

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07