On 14/08/2012 13:36, Andrew Hughes wrote:
:

Do you have a static libz.a installed (from zlib1g-dev) and all dependent
static libraries?
I think you're right about the static linking but this was just a quick test to see if SYSTEM_ZLIB=true worked with everything else as default.

pack200 has C++ so that explains why we see it there and not when building libzip.

$ dpkg -s zlib1g-dev
Package: zlib1g-dev
Section: libdevel
Installed-Size: 366
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-disc...@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: i386
Source: zlib
Version: 1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3ubuntu4
Provides: libz-dev
Depends: zlib1g (= 1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3ubuntu4), libc6-dev | libc-dev
Conflicts: zlib1-dev
 zlib is a library implementing the deflate compression method found
 in gzip and PKZIP.  This package includes the development support
 files.
Homepage: http://zlib.net/

$ apt-file search libz.a
lib64z1-dev: /usr/lib64/libz.a
zlib1g-dev: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.a

$ ls -l /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 98772 Nov 10  2011 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.a

I suspect you'll get the same failure with or without my patch (though you'll
probably need the change
to defines.h to get this far...)
SYSTEM_ZLIB is currently Mac only so I wouldn't expect to have got very far without your changes.

I'd guess you have STATIC_CXX set to true (the default apparently):
I didn't specify any other build options so it's using the default.

BTW: I should mention that I don't have any issues with the patch proposed as it works as it does now because SYSTEM_ZLIB is false. It may be that there is follow-up to allow SYSTEM_ZLIB=true and static linking to work together.

-Alan.