On 22/09/2012 00:12, Weijun Wang wrote:
I think jtreg would automatically reset any changed system property so othervm is not necessary. Have you tried running it with other tests in agentvm mode? Thanks Max
There are many areas in the JDK where system properties are read once during initialization and that fixes the configuration for the lifetime of the VM. I think java.util.prefs.userRoot is one of them. Tests that set any of these properties are usually better run in their own VM because they can cause side effects for tests that run subsequently in the same VM. Such issues can be difficult to track down, we had quite a few of these when trying to get the tests to run in samevm or agentvm mode.

So you are right that jtreg could unset these properties before running the next test but unless it knows whether the property is only read once or not then I don't think it will be reliable.

-Alan.