On Nov 30, 2012, at 4:58 AM, Chris Hegarty wrote:

> On 30/11/2012 02:03, David Holmes wrote:

>>> This is certainly interesting, and something I've wondered for a while
>>> now. If java.util.Iterator is to ever be fitted with a default
>>> implementation of remove ( to throw UnsupportedOperationException ),
>>> then it would clearly need to be part of the spec, and not an
>>> implementation detail of OpenJDK. Otherwise, what's the point, every
>>> developer will still have to implement it because they cannot be
>>> guaranteed of it's behavior.
>>
>> I think optional methods are a bit of a special case here because they
>> don't have to work.
>>
>> It's the end user of a class that needs to understand if they can use
>> remove() to actually do a removal. The developer of the class can
>> inherit whatever default implementations Iterator provides, as long as
>> they don't mind what they get. If they do mind ie they need a real
>> remove(), then they will have to implement it themselves and in the
>> process document that fact. The end user has to look at the docs for the
>> concrete class and follow through to determine whether it's
>> iterator().remove() is optional or not.
>>
>> Put another way, a default method is great for adding a new method to
>> types that have not yet been revised to handle the new method. As a
>> developer once you revise your class you should make a conscious
>> implementation choice in my opinion and not rely on the default unless
>> you truly don't care what it does.
>
> Sorry David, I've not been following lambda that closely, but (in my opinion)
> if default methods do not, or cannot, have defined semantics then I really
> think it is limiting. Maybe Iterator is a bad example, but I will continue
> with it anyway. In many cases developers of iterator().remove() want it to
> throw, if this is not defined in Iterator's default remove method then every
> Iterator subclass will still have to define its own remove that throws. For
> this particular case at least (if it were to ever happen), I would like to
> see specification added to remove that defines the default implementation.

I had wondered about this as well and had a brief email exchange with Mike.  I
thought a new javadoc tag might also be something to consider.

For  JDBC,  I am thinking of leveraging default methods to throw a specific
exception (maybe IllegalStateException?) if the method must be implemented by
the driver vendor or a SQLFeatureNotSupportedException for methods which may be
optional based on the backend support.

> -Chris.
>

>> But maybe we kid ourselves when we give this illusion of flexibility in
>> implementation.
>>
>> David
>>
>>> -Chris.

Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
lance.ander...@oracle.com