On 12/18/2012 04:20 PM, David Holmes wrote:
On 19/12/2012 10:16 AM, Joe Darcy wrote:
On 12/18/2012 04:12 PM, David Holmes wrote:
On 19/12/2012 8:40 AM, Louis Wasserman wrote:
It's not 100% obvious to me whether this refers to a default
implementation
in an interface, a class which inherits that default implementation and
does not override it, or both. Is that worth clarifying in the doc,
rather
than forcing readers to check the JLS citation?

The issue is where you obtained this Method reference from:

- from the Interface? then it is a default method
- from a class implementing the interface but not redefining the
method? then it is a default method

Actually, that is *now* how HotSpot represents this case in core
reflection at the moment. HotSpot uses a new method object to represent
the default method woven into an implementing class.

*now* -> *not* ??

Correct.

It may be a new Method object but getDeclaringClass() should give the interface class NOT the concrete class. That is currently the case for abstract interface methods. I hope it is the same for default methods!

It is not at the moment, which is a bit surprising.

-Joe