I'm currently trying to run the jdk tests on the compact profiles. As the profile builds are runtimes only, they don't have tools such as javac and so need to be run with both -jdk and -compilejdk. That works okay except for the shell tests because many of them launch the "javac" or "jar" tools directly and so fail because the runtime under test ($TESTJAVA) is not a JDK. I'd like to update the shell tests to use the tools in $COMPILEJAVA, this is the JDK specified to jtreg with -compilejdk or it's the same as $TESTJAVA when -compilejdk is not specified.

The webrev with the proposed changes is here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alanb/8005978/webrev/

For the most part this is just s/TESTJAVA/COMPILEJAVA/ although there are a couple of subtle things to watch out for - for example tool tests should be testing the tools in $TESTJAVA, not $COMPILEJAVA. Many of the shell tests were created to be runnable outside of jtreg so I've preserved this where it was previously supported.

I should note that this is not all of the shell tests, I don't have time to fix the tests in areas that aren't interesting for the profiles so contributions to do more would be welcome. Another thing is that a lot of these shell tests are old tests and a lot of them don't really need to be shell tests. I mention this because another great effort would be be gradually replace many of these shell tests.

-Alan.