On 01/10/2013 07:48 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
On 01/10/2013 09:15 PM, Chris Hegarty wrote:
On 01/10/2013 05:05 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
On 01/10/2013 08:40 PM, Chris Hegarty wrote:
Doug, Aleksey,

I updated the appropriate methods in the Atomic classes to use the
instinsics defined by 7023898 , Unsafe getAndAddInt, getAndSetInt,
getAndAddLong, getAndSetLong, getAndSetObject.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~chegar/8006007/webrev.00/webrev/

Good. Two comments:
   a) Any java-concurrency-torture [1] failures for these classes?

Can you give me a brief introduction to running these? I have run the
JDK regression tests and the appropriate JCK tests, all pass.

Build it, run it, see results/index.html. Should be 100% pass rate. If
not, drill down to exact tests.

Maven has just finished downloading the dependencies to build this project! ;-) All tests pass.

You can probably remove the *.atomic.*V8 source and tests once these changes are integrated.

   b) Can we delegate all the suitable methods to Unsafe directly, without
calling the middleman (i.e. getAndDec() -> getAndAdd() -> unsafe), as in
[2]?

Yes, we could. The existing implementation was not consistent.

I took the view that this was not performance critical, since some
existing methods already delegate, and my preference, for simplicity, is
for the middleman ;-) Do you think there is a perf benefit to changing
this, or is this a style issue?

Yeah, that's mostly stylistic issue. If that's not in Doug's repo, you
can just disregard this. (There is a tempting desire to not to blow up
the call tree to help inliner, since the delegating method is not private).

I'll leave it as is, I find it much less error prone. We can revisit if necessary.

Thanks,
-Chris.

-Aleksey.