Good catch there.  I made the field volatile, and I also did the same
with the cache fields in Parameter.

It is possible with what exists that you could wind up with multiple
copies of identical parameter objects in existence.  It goes something
like this

thread A sees Executable.parameters is null, goes into the VM to get them
thread B sees Executable.parameters is null, goes into the VM to get them
thread A stores to Executable.parameters
thread B stores to Executable.parameters

Since Parameters is immutable (except for its caches, which will always
end up containing the same things), this *should* have no visible
effects, unless someone does == instead of .equals.

This can be avoided by doing a CAS, which is more expensive execution-wise.

My vote is to *not* do a CAS, and accept that (in extremely rare cases,
even as far as concurrency-related anomalies go), you may end up with
duplicates, and document that very well.

Thoughts?