I'm continually surprised by developers I meet at conferences who
(sometimes angrily) demand that deprecated APIs be removed, so I think
the reality is a mixed bag -- not that it matters a great deal either
way.
Just a personal opinion as a developer. Java APIs are very big and removing deprecated APIs can reduce this size. It will help solving this question: "what can be the name of the currently needed class/method in all these APIs?", which is very important, particularly for new Java developers, frequently lost in these numerous APIs.

Readability is the biggest design feature of Java, then I think there is some logic if developers ask for removal of deprecated API, because it will improve readability of APIs.