On May 7 2013, at 10:13 , Chris Hegarty wrote:

> On 05/07/2013 05:04 PM, Mike Duigou wrote:
>> The "currently" MIN_ARRAY_SORT_GRAN statement bothers me. Can we remove
>> currently?
>
> No problem.  That would read...
>
>  "When the sub-array length reaches a {@linlplain #MIN_ARRAY_SORT_GRAN
>   minimum granularity}, the sub-array is sorted using the appropriate
>   Arrays.sort method."

linlplain -> linkplain

> > I would expect to see currently if the numerical value of
> > MIN_ARRAY_SORT_GRAN was presented. We may change the threshold but we're
> > otherwise committed to the constant name for the threshold.
>
> I really don't care much for MIN_ARRAY_SORT_GRAN. I left it out from the
> original push, then flip flopped a few times on it. I don't like {@value}, as
> the field would still need to be public, but not referenced in the docs. I
> could be persuaded to go either way on it, but it is not worth spending time
> on.

One other issue with MIN_ARRAY_SORT_GRAN is that, according to separate
compilation rules, as a static final int the value of MIN_ARRAY_SORT_GRAN
can/will be compiled into code. The value isn't thereafter changeable except by
recompiling everything which references it. In particular, injecting a
different value into Arrays.MIN_ARRAY_SORT_GRAN would likely have no effect at
runtime. This situation seems a little strange/unhelpful to me. It wouldn't
even be practically changeable between releases since code compiled with  Java
8 would keep using that value even when running on future versions with a
different value for MIN_ARRAY_SORT_GRAN.

Mike