On 6/12/13 4:43 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
Hi Mandy,

Regarding the command line arguments of jdeps, would it not be more consistent
to re-use the same classpath related arguments as javac/java/javap/javah

   "-c" becomes "-cp"
   "--classpath" becomes "-classpath"

?

jdeps follows the GNU-style options which is different than the JDK style. We discussed this issue about consistency and familiarity [1]. After using jdeps for some time, I admit that I find it hard to switch to the new -c short option (and confusing too) but relatively easy to move to --classpath option. Mixing both GNU-style and JDK-style inconsistently adopting GNU style is not a good thing while GNU style is the direction we are going (e.g. pack200 follows GNU style).

Mandy
[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2012-December/012989.html and its thread.

Paul.