It all hinges on whether the tool is generating HTML 4 or HTML 5. If 4, then the output should be HTML 4 "strict" and this kind of input should either be translated or forced to be valid.

If the output is going to be HTML 5 - which I suspect is going to be considered "premature" given the usual glacial pace of these kinds of changes - then perhaps it's time to revisit some other crustiness, like the use of frames.