On 12/09/2013 06:59, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
Hello Alan, Martin, everyone!

Some update on the issue.
When trying to integrate my test into Basic.java, I found that it already contains exactly the same.
I have just overlooked it before.

Additional investigation showed that inheritIO() doesn't always fail on Windows.
If the scenario is like following:
- java application creates a child java process (no IO inheritance, redirecting IO through pipes by default), - child process creates a grandchild which inherits the child's stdin/out/err,
everything works as expected.

However, if the java app (started from a console) creates an immediate child that inherits its parent stdin/out/err, it fails.

That's why this bug hasn't been caught by Basic.java before - because it uses the first testing scenario. And that's why I had to introduce a new shell script test - because the problem couldn't be reproduced otherwise.

Would you please review the updated webrev?
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/8023130/1/webrev/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Eigerasim/8023130/1/webrev/>

Based on the previous mails then the update to ProcessImpl_md.c seems right. It's probably best to give this one some bake time in jdk8 before you backport it to jdk7u-dev. The reason is that the Process code likes to bite back when it is changed.

On the tests then you probably know we don't like shell tests because they are usually slower and statistically more troublesome. Given the scenario that you are trying to test (and it's useful that you've got to the bottom of the issue) there they may not be other options here. One small concern with the shell test as it stands is that it looks like it is depend on the exact output. This makes me wonder about how it will behave with a debug or fastdebug build that might have additional output. Also a minor point but it might be more readable if the body of the for statement was indented.

-Alan.