Subject:        Re: Debug builds
Date:   Tue, 08 Oct 2013 21:09:11 +0400
From:   Alex Kasko <alex.kasko.li...@gmail.com>
To:     cowwoc <cow...@bbs.darktech.org>

Hi,

I wrote email to the list but decided to send it to you offlist instead
(because it's your thread about debug).Feel free to forward it (or its
parts) to the list if you want.

On 10/08/2013 06:52 PM, cowwoc wrote:
Hi Volker,

     Thanks for the clarification. I have been able to ascertain that
adding full debug symbols to rt.jar would grow the file by 12MB
(uncompressed, probably much smaller after you run PACK200).

I'll try to clarify the question concerning debugging terminology.
Please correct me if I am wrong. This is all about jdk7.

"Full debug symbols" build switch:

    FULL_DEBUG_SYMBOLS=1

It adds '.diz' files with zipped debug symbols for all native binaries.

"Classfiles' debug symbols" build switch:

    DEBUG_CLASSFILES=true

It adds debug symbols to compiled java classes in rt.jar and others.

"Full debug symbols" and "classfiles' debug symbols" are completely
independent of each other.

Information about full debug symbols in Oracle builds is not clear
because of this email -
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/build-dev/2012-October/006881.html
According to it "promoted" builds must have FDS. At the same time
openjdk7 build that was released on java.net on the "promoted" url -
http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk7/promoted/b146/jcp_bcl/ does not
have FDS.
Builds on java.com do not have FDS too but they are not the part of
OpenJDK so maybe it's incorrect to ask about them here.

I think initial question was about "classfiles' debug symbols".

The
debugging symbols for native code probably cost a lot more than that.

     Any idea on why rt.jar does not contain full debug symbols in the
JDK? If I open a bug report for this, is anyone willing to push this
through the system?

Thanks,
Gili