Hi Andreas,

I think this is correct now. By coincidence, Joe Darcy is trying to implement default methods in interface AnnotatedElement and I think those two attempts could be merged. The s.r.a.AnnotationSupport static methods: getDirectlyAndIndirectlyPresent & getAssociatedAnnotations could be implemented in terms of AnnotatedElement's getDeclaredAnnotation(Class) - not needing to pass annotation maps around and not needing JavaLangAccess. The major obstacle that you have already solved somehow in your implementation is keeping the right order of returned annotations. For example:

@Ann(1)
@AnnCont({@Ann(2), @Ann(3)})

vs.

@AnnCont({@Ann(2), @Ann(3)})
@Ann(1)

Is this corner case really so important that specification could not be "tweaked" a little to say that #2 is equivalent to #1 as far as order or returned annotations is concerned (first comes any directly present and then any in-directly present annotations). If spec. could be tweaked, the implementations would be much simpler. Here's a rough sketch of such simplified AnnotatioSupport:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk8-tl/RepeatingAnnotations/webrev.01/

Regards, Peter