Hi Mandy,

On 12/13/2013 12:37 AM, Mandy Chung wrote:
Hi Peter,

On 12/8/2013 11:19 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
H Mandy,

I created an issue for it nevertheless:

You're right, doPrivileged() is a more straight-forward approach than 'sealed' variable. Since this might only be considered for inclusion in JDK9 when lambdas are already a tried technology, how do you feel about using them for platform code like logging? As far as I know (just checked), lambda meta-factory is not using any j.u.logging, so there is no danger of initialization loops or similar:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk8-tl/jul.Handler.sealed/webrev.03/

Sorry for the delay to get to this.

No rush. We have time before JDK9 gets set-up and running...

Alan is right that java.lang.invoke.ProxyClassesDumper does use PlatformLogger which will forward calls to j.u.logging if -Djava.util.logging.config.file is set or java.util.logging has been initialized (via other j.u.logging call). It means that it may lead to recursive initialization. Also the current PlatformLogger implementation formats the message in the same way as j.u.logging that may load locale providers and other classes. I am afraid there are issues to tease out and resolve.

It's unfortunate that a lambda debugging feature prevents us from using a basic language feature in j.u.logging code. As far as I know, java.lang.invoke.ProxyClassesDumper is only used if 'jdk.internal.lambda.dumpProxyClasses' system property is set to point to a directory where lambda proxy class files are to be dumped as they are generated - a debugging hook therefore. Wouldn't it be good-enough if error messages about not-being able to set-up/use the dump facility were output to System.err directly - not using PlatformLogger at all?

The overloads the doPrivileged method makes it cumbersome to use lambda that causes you to workaround it by adding a new PrivilegedVoidAction interface which is clever. So I think it isn't too bad for this patch to use anonymous inner class and have the doPrivileged call in the constructor.

Right. I have prepared a modified webrev which doesn't use lambdas:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk8-tl/jul.Handler.sealed/webrev.04/

In attempt to minimize the boilerplate, I haven't just replaced lambdas with anonymous inner classes, but rather turned all private configure() methods into ConfigureAction inner classes. In two occasions (SocketHandler and StreamHandler), they are extended with anonymous inner classes to append some actions. In SocketHandler I kept the mechanics of transporting the checked IOException out of PrivilegedAction by wrapping it with Unchecked IOException and later unwrapping and throwing it, rather than using PrivilegedExceptionAction which would further complicate exception handling, since it declares throwing a general j.l.Exception, but the SocketHandler constructor only declares throwing IOException...

I think this could be backported to 7u as-is.

Regards, Peter

Mandy